Chief Scientific Officer
Complete Genomics, Inc.
Mountain View, California, U.S.A.
Dr. Radoje (Rade) Drmanac, chief scientific officer and co-founder of
Complete Genomics since 2006 and senior vice president of BGI since
2013, is a research scientist and inventor in the field of human genome
sequencing including techniques such as DNA sequencing-by-hybridization
(SBH), genomic micro- and nanoarrays, combinatorial probe ligation, and
long fragment read (LFR) process for accurate whole genome sequencing
and haplotyping from 10 human cells. In 1994, he co-founded Hyseq (later
Nuvelo) where, as chief scientific officer, he led the effort to
discover and patent thousands of genes which formed the basis of
Nuvelo’s drug development pipeline. Prior to Hyseq, Rade was a group
leader at Argonne National Labs from 1991 to 1994 as part of the
Department of Energy’s Human Genome Project. He completed his
postdoctoral studies in 1990 in Hans Lehrach’s group at the Imperial
Cancer Research Fund in London. He earned his Ph.D. in molecular biology
for the conception and pioneering development of SBH technology from
Belgrade University, where he also received B.S. and M.S. degrees in
- B. Peters, B. Kermani, O. Alferov, M. Agarwal, M. McElwain, N.
Gulbahce, D. Hayden, Y. Tang, R. Zhang, R. Tearle, B. Crain, R. Prates,
A. Berkeley, S. Munne, R. Drmanac, Detection
and Phasing of Single Base De Novo Mutationsin Biopsies from Human In
Vitro Fertilized Embryos by Advanced Whole-genome Sequencing. Genome Research, 11 Feb 2015.
- B. Peters, J. Liu, R. Drmanac, Co-barcoded sequence reads from long DNA fragments: A cost-effective solution for “Perfect Genome” sequencing. Frontiers in Genetics, 18 Dec 2014.
- R. Drmanac, B. Peters, G. Church, C. Reid, X. Xun, Accurate Whole Genome Sequencing as the Ultimate Genetic Test, Clinical Chemistry, 5 Dec 2014.
- Y. Lin, M. Boone, Meuris, I. Lemmens, N. Van Roy, A. Soete, J.
Reumers, M. Moisse, S. Plaisance, R. Drmanac, J. Chen, F. Speleman, D.
Lambrechts, Y. Van de Peer, J. Tavernier, and N. Callewaert, Genome Dynamics of the Human Embryonic Kidney 293 Lineage in Response to Cell Biology Manipulations. Nature Communications 5, Article number: 4767, 03 Sep 2014.
- C. Mizzi, B. Peters, C. Mitropoulou, K. Mitropoulos, T. Katsila, M.
Agarwal, R. van Schaik, R Drmanac, J. Borg, and G. Patrinos, Personalized Pharmacogenomics Profiling Using Whole-genome Sequencing. Pharmacogenomics. 2014 Jun;15(9):1223-34.
- C. Schaaf, M González-Garay, F. Xia, L. Potocki, K. Gripp, B. Zhang,
B. Peters, M. McElwain, R. Drmanac, A. Beaudet, C. Caskey, and Y.
Yang, Truncating Mutations of MAGEL2 Cause Prader-Willi Phenotypes and Autism. Nature Genetics 45, 1405–1408, 29 Sep 2013.
- B. Peters, B. Kermani, A. Sparks, O. Alferov, P. Hong, A. Alexeev,
Y. Jiang, F. Dahl, Y. Tang, J. Haas, K. Robasky, A. Wait Zaranek, J.
Lee, M. Price Ball, J. Peterson, H. Perazich, G. Yeung, J. Liu, L. Chen,
M. Kennemer, K. Pothuraju, K. Konvicka, M. Tsoupko-Sitnikov, K. Pant,
J. Ebert, G. Nilsen, J. Baccash, A. Halpern, G. Church, R Drmanac, Accurate Whole-genome Sequencing and Haplotyping from 10 to 20 Human Cells, Nature 487, 190-95, 12 July 2012.
- R. Drmanac, The Ultimate Genetic Test, Science, 1 June 2012: Vol. 336 no. 6085 pp.1110-1112 (DOI: 10.1126/science.1221037). Summary. Reprint. Full Text.
- P. Carnevali, J. Baccash, A. Halpern, I. Nazarenko, G. Nilsen, K.
Pant, J. Ebert, A. Brownley, M. Morenzoni, V. Karpinchyk, B. Martin, D.
Ballinger, and R. Drmanac, Computational Techniques for Human Genome Resequencing Using Mated Gapped Reads, Journal of Computational Biology. March 2012, 19(3): 279-292. doi:10.1089/cmb.2011.0201.
- W. Funk, I. Labat, J. Sampathkumar, P. Gourraud, J. Oksenberg, E.
Rosler, D. Steiger, N. Sheibani, S. Caillier, B. Stache-Crain, J.
Johnson, L. Meisner, M. Lacher, K. Chapman, M. Park, K. Shin, R.
Drmanac, M. West, Evaluating the Genomic and Sequence Integrity of Human ES Cell Lines; Comparison to Normal Genomes, Stem Cell Research, Volume 8, Issue 2, March 2012, Pages 154–164.
- R. Drmanac, The Advent of Personal Genome Sequencing, Genetics in Medicine, 2011.
- R. Drmanac, et al., Human Genome Sequencing Using Unchained Base Reads on Self-Assembling DNA Nanoarrays, Science, 5 November 2009 (10.1126/science.1181498). Abstract
- R. Drmanac, et al., Third-Generation Complete Human Genome
Sequencing of Multiple Individuals, poster presented at the 59th Annual
Meeting of the American Society of Human Genetics, Honolulu, HI, 23
October 2009. View poster>>
- A. Schirinazi, S. Drmanac, B. Dallapiccola, S. Huang, K. Scott, A.
DeLuca, D. Swanson, R. Drmanac, S. Surrey, P. Fortina, Combinatorial
Sequencing-by-Hybridization: Analysis of the NF1 Gene, Genetic Testing
10(1): 8-17, 2006.
- S. Cowie, S. Drmanac, D. Swanson, K. Delgrosso, S. Huang, D. du
Sart, R. Drmanac, S. Surrey, P. Fortina, Identification of APC gene
mutations in colorectal cancer using universal microarray-based
combinatorial sequencing-by-hybridization. Hum Mutat. 24(3):261-71,
- R. Drmanac, et al. Sequencing by Hybridization (SBH): Advantages, Achievements, and Opportunities, Advances in Biochemical Engineering/Biotechnology: Chip Technology Editor: J. Hoheisel, 76:75-98, 2002.
- R. Drmanac, S. Drmanac, cDNA screening by array hybridization, Methods in Enzymology, 303:165-178, May 1999.
- S. Drmanac, D. Kita, I. Labat, B. Hauser, J. Burczak, R. Drmanac,
Accurate sequencing by hybridization for DNA diagnostics and individual
genomics, Nature Biotechnology, 16, 54-58, 1998.
- S. Drmanac, N.A. Stavropoulos, I. Labat, J. Vonau, B. Hauser, M.B.
Soares, R. Drmanac, Gene-Representing cDNA Clusters Defined by
Hybridization of 57,419 Clones from Infant Brain Libraries with Short
Oligonucleotide Probes, Genomics, 37, 29-40, 1996.
- R. Drmanac, S. Drmanac, J. Jarvis, I. Labat, Sequencing by
hybridization. In: Automated DNA Sequencing and Analysis Techniques (M.
Adams, C. Fields, J. C. Venter, eds.), pp 29-36, Academic Press Limited,
- R. Drmanac, S. Drmanac, Z. Strezoska, I. Labat, T. Paunesku, M.
Zeremski, J. Snoddy, W.K. Funkhouser, B. Koop, L. Hood, R. Crkvenjakov,
DNA Sequence Determination by hybridization: a strategy for efficient
large-scale sequencing. Science, 260, 1649-1652, 1993.
- Z. Strezoska, T. Paunesku, I. Labat, D. Radosavljevic, R. Drmanac,
R. Crkvenjakov, A Hundred Base Pairs of Beta1-Interferon Gene Sequence
Determined by Oligo Hybridizations. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 88,
- H. Lehrach, R. Drmanac, J. Hoheisel, Z. Larin, G. Lennon, D.
Nizetic, T. Monaco, G. Zehetner, A. Poustkal, Hybridization
Fingerprinting in Genome Mapping and Sequencing. Genome Analysis 1,
Genetic and Physical Mapping, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press,
- R. Drmanac, I. Labat, R. Crkvenjakov, An Algorithm for the DNA
Sequence Generation from a k-tuple Word Contents of the Minimal Number
of Random Fragments. J. Biomol. Struct. Dyn., 5, 1085, 1991.
- R. Drmanac, R. Crkvenjakov, Prospects for a Miniaturized, Simplified and Frugal Human Genome Project, Scientia Yugoslavica 161(1-2), 97-107, 1990.
- R. Drmanac, Z. Strezoska, I. Labat, S. Drmanac, R. Crkvenjakov,
Reliable Hybridization of Oligonucleotides as Short as 6 Nucleotides in
Length. DNA and Cell Biol. (formerly "DNA"), 9, 527, 1990.
- R. Drmanac, I. Labat, I. Brukner, R. Crkvenjakov, Sequencing of
Megabase plus DNA by Hybridization: Theory of the Method, Genomics, 4,
- Technologies for complete genome analysis
- Human genome structure and functioning
- Discovery of the genetic bases of diseases
- Genetic diagnostics for disease prevention
- Genetic origin and evolution of life
If you have questions or comments, please send us an e-mail.